Tuesday 24 February 2015

Gerunds and Infinitives


a Complete the sentences with the verbs in brackets in the infinitive (with or without to) or the gerund.


  1. I learned ……………… French when I was at school. (speak)
  2. Do you fancy ……………….. a film tonight? (see)
  3. Laura's mother doesn't let her ……………………. when she wants. (go out)
  4. I can't afford ……………….. a holiday this year. (have)
  5. It's getting late. We'd better ………………….. much longer. (not stay)
  6. I'm going to carry on ……………………… until 8:00 tonight. (work)
  7. What are you planning ………………………. to the party? (wear)
  8. Would you rather ………………. in the country or in a town? (live)
  9. I couldn't help …………………. when my brother fell off his bicycle. (laugh)
  10. Did you manage …………….. all the homework I gave you? (finish)
  11. We're really looking forward to ……………….. you again. (see)
  12. If I tell you, do you promise ……………………… anybody? (not tell)
  13. My boss made me ……………………. late last night. (work)
  14. Since I've moved abroad I really miss ……….. my friends. (see)
  15. Would you like me ………………….. you with the dinner? (help)
  16. I don't mind ……………….. . I'm not in a hurry. (wait)
  17. You're not allowed ……………………. here. (park)
  18. You need to practise ………….. if you want to pass your English exam. (speak)
  19. I like getting up early in the morning in the summer. (get up)
  20. Monica might ……………….. tomorrow. She's ill. (not come)
  21. I enjoy …………… time with my grandparents. (spend)
  22. Will you be able ………………… me a lift to work tomorrow? (give)


b Complete the sentences with the verbs in brackets in the gerund or infinitive with to form.

  1. You forgot ……………. the milk. (buy)
  2. Could you try ……………………… late tomorrow? (not be)
  3. The sheets on this bed are dirty. They need ………………….. .. (change)
  4. Don't you remember …………………. his wife at that party at Christmas? (meet)
  5. I'll never forget ……………………. in New York for the first time. (arrive)
  6. I think you need ……………………… the irregular verbs. (revise)
  7. Did you remember …………………….. James about the meeting tomorrow? (tell)
  8. If the computer doesn't work, try … it off and …. it on again. (turn) (switch)




Answers

a Complete the sentences with the verbs in brackets in the infinitive (with or without to) or the gerund.
  1. I learned to speak French when I was at school.
  2. Do you fancy seeing a film tonight?
  3. Laura's mother doesn't let her go out when she wants.
  4. I can't afford to have a holiday this year.
  5. It's getting late. We'd better not stay much longer. 
  6. I'm going to carry on working until 8:00 tonight.
  7. What are you planning to wear to the party?
  8. Would you rather live in the country or in a town?
  9. I couldn't help laughing when my brother fell off his bicycle.
  10. Did you manage to finish all the homework I gave you?
  11. We're really looking forward to seeing you again.
  12. If I tell you, do you promise not to tell anybody?
  13. My boss made me work late last night.
  14. Since I've moved abroad I really miss seeing my friends.
  15. Would you like me to help you with the dinner?
  16. I don't mind waiting. I'm not in a hurry.
  17. You're not allowed to park here.
  18. You need to practise speaking if you want to pass your English exam.
  19. I like getting up/to get early in the morning in the summer.
  20. Monica might not come tomorrow. She's ill.
  21. I enjoy spending time with my grandparents.
  22. Will you be able to give me a lift to work tomorrow?


 Complete the sentences with the verbs in brackets in the gerund or infinitive with to form.

  1. You forgot to buy the milk.
  2. Could you try not to be late tomorrow?
  3. The sheets on this bed are dirty. They need changing.
  4. Don't you remember meeting his wife at that party at Christmas?
  5. I'll never forget arriving in New York for the first time.
  6. I think you need to revise the irregular verbs.
  7. Did you remember to tell James about the meeting tomorrow?
  8. If the computer doesn't work, try turning it off and switching it on again.

No comments:

Post a Comment